My philosophy on directing is the same as that for facilitating: everyone in the room holds wisdom that I don’t have. The force inside an actor’s body that naturally compels them to move is beautiful. The sum of each person’s wisdom, natural movements, and idiosyncrasies in the room adds up to something more creative and interesting than my stand-alone vision. My job is to help my fellow creators come to their most honest expressions of the work, and to create ways for all of these elements to come together harmoniously. My style is to approach everyone with reverence and invite them to play with me.
Whether I am working with professional actors, or non-actors in a community setting, this way of working helps us to create freely and in a strong ensemble environment.
- Intimacy Coach for Heartlines by Sarah Waisvisz, Great Canadian Theatre Company/TACTICS, 2022
- Strata Inc. audio play, Strata Inc. Collective, presented by the undercurrents festival, Ottawa, 2021
- Strata Inc. by Megan Piercey Monafu, Strata Inc. Collective, Rebel.com, Ottawa, 2020
- Intimacy Coach for Lo, Or Dear Mr. Wells by Rose Napoli, Great Canadian Theatre Company, 2019
- This is the August by Hillary Rexe, Young Prince Collective, Summerworks Performance Festival, 2016
- A Little Fire by Megan Piercey Monafu, Abalone Productions & Theatre of the Beat co-production, presented by TACTICS Ottawa, Arts Court Theatre, 2016
- It Only Takes a Spark by Johnny Wideman, Theatre of the Beat, Touring production 2015
- Grain of Salt redux by Megan Piercey Monafu, Abalone Productions, Ottawa Fringe Festival 2014, co-directed with Kelly Rigole
- Mabel’s Last Performance by Megan Piercey Monafu, Abalone Productions, Ottawa Fringe Festival 2012, Atlantic Fringe Festival 2014, Memorial University of Newfoundland Grenfell Campus 2015 (with Directing Consultant Mary Ellis)
- Freud’s Last Session by Mark St. Germain, Creative Consultant, 9th Hour Theatre Company, 2013 Ottawa Tour
- PowerPlay by Andrie Nel, Just Kiddin’ Theatre, Metcalfe Community Centre, 2013
- Crime & Punishment by Marilyn Campbell & Curt Columbus, 9th Hour Theatre Company, March 22nd to 31st, 2012, Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre
- Antony & Cleopatra, a Company of Fools, 2011, assistant director
- Children’s Letters to God, 9th Hour Theatre Company, 2011, assistant director